Structure of Education in Armenia
Education in Armenia has several drawbacks. But with the gradual
advancement of the society, the government is also trying to improve the
education system of Armenia. Education, held specifically
regarding in Armenian society, changed speediest of the social
administrations, while health and welfare administrations endeavoured to
administer the essential state-arranged structure of the Soviet era.
The training division in Armenia was mainly spoken to by two sorts of instructive stations:
- General- Preschool foundation and School
- Expert -Preliminary Professional Educational Institution – Technical School; Middle Professional Educational Institute – College
Before 2001, the structure of primary education consisted of 8 years education. It was divided into elementary education that consisted of grade 1 to grade 3. Then it was middle basic general years that consisted of 4 years of education starting from grade 4 to grade 8.
In the year of 2001-02, the compulsory basic education was provided for 9 years. But very recently, the general basic education consisted of 12 years. The admission age is 7. This entire system was fully operational since 2007-08. In the present system:Primary education
- Grade 1 to 4Lower secondary education is
from grade 5 to 9.
The upper secondary education is provided for 2 years. At present it consists of the grades 10 to grade 12.
The vocational education is provided after completion of the grade of 9. The duration of this course is 2 to 3 years. Study of vocational education provides the qualification of craftsmanship.
The higher education is provided for duration of 2-3 years. Professional degree courses take 3 years to complete, whereas, the Bachelor’s degree is provided for duration of 4 years. The degree of post-graduation requires 2 years two complete. It takes 4 years to complete the course of medicine education. It takes around 2-3 years to qualify for the doctoral degree. All the educational programs in Armenia starting from 2008, are based on European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS).
The following types of higher academic establishments (HEI) are operational in Hayastan.
- University: HEI provides higher, postgraduate and supplementary education in numerous branches of natural and social science fields, science, technology, and culture.
- Institute: HEI, conducting specialist and postgraduate educational programs (educational) and providing opportunities for scientific researches and studies. It is aimed towards the event of education for science, technology and culture in a personal sphere; it conducts programs preparing and re-training qualified specialists in a personal field, furthermore as postgraduate educational programs.
Postgraduate studies are accessible inside HEIs and in addition experimental foundations are also found.
In 2006 Armenia changed over to a three level 12 year general instruction
framework having the accompanying grouping: rudimentary school (4 years), centre school (5 years) and secondary school.